Tuesday, July 10, 2007

We interrupt this commercial for the Maison de Gateau...

(not to be confused with the Maison des Lunes -- or perhaps they are the same!).

It has been brought to my attention that the cookbook has been devoid of any recipe content for a while now, and I need to make amends!

So today I will share another summer dinner salad recipe.

This one is direct from my good friend in California, and I have noted my own additions/changes.


Amma's Taco Salad
1 pound ground beef browned, drained and cooled (I usually add some chili pepper to the meat while I'm frying it)
1 head of lettuce, shredded
4 tomatoes, chopped
1 avocado, diced (this isn't mandatory, but its really nice to have)
1 chopped onion (I usually use green onions)
3/4 to 1 pound grated sharp cheddar cheese (or Mexican blend)
1 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained
4 to 6 ounces thousand island dressing (ranch dressing is very nice too)
sliced black olives
hot sauce or salsa
1 bag tortilla chips, broken into pieces

Generally at our house this is served in a buffet "make it yourself" style so each person can create their own version.

This is a meal that can be put together in less than half an hour and will easily feed 4 to 6 people.

1 comment:

Dorothy said...

Black beans are also yummy instead of kidney beans!