Friday, October 13, 2006

Mom's Waffles

Well, it seems that while we're on the subject of breakfast, that waffles are a logical next recipe.

I like waffles, but don't bring me any of those things that come out of the freezer at the grocery store and go into the toaster, and I don't want any limp weak sister variety either!

So the most important thing about getting good waffles is getting a good waffle iron, and to me that means one that is HEAVY and gets really HOT!

I've owned several waffle irons over the years, and the best one was the used one my mother gave me. Unfortunately, these things don't last forever, and I've had a couple of mediocre ones since. The latest one is pretty good.

This waffle recipe has been developed by years of taste testing in our family kitchen. This was always a weekend breakfast because during the week (when my husband and I had to be at work by 7:30 am) there just wasn't time. Besides, waffles deserve the luxury of the extra time.

I have given here the full size recipe which makes 5 full sized waffles. Because for us that would mean at least one left over, and the dog really doesn't need them, I have included in parentheses the measurements for a half batch. I have also included the alternate "healthy" ingredients, but you just can not do these without real eggs.

Mom's Waffles

3 (2) eggs, separated
1 1/2 (3/4) cup milk (2% works fine)
1 (1/2) tsp vanilla
3 (1 1/2) tsp sugar (1 tsp of Splenda)
4 (2) tbls melted butter (canola oil works great)
1 3/4 (7/8) cup flour
2 (1) tsp baking powder
1/2 (1/4) tsp salt

Plug in the waffle iron to preheat.

In one dish (I use a 4 cup glass measuring cup), mix flour, baking powder and salt to combine.

In a second dish, whisk together milk, vanilla, sugar, butter and the egg yolks.

Beat egg whites to firm peaks (I use a hand mixer).

Using the mixer, beat the liquid ingredients into the dry ones until well combined. Use a spatula to fold the egg whites into the batter.

I spray the waffle iron with a non-stick cooking spray before I cook the first one, and usually that one gets fed to the dog because I didn't let the iron get hot enough or it sticks. Its just part of the waffle tradition!

We eat these at breakfast and use real maple syrup (it costs more, but we use less because it actually tastes like something!).

I remember as a child eating waffles for dinner with creamed tuna or chipped beef over them. If you want to have a go at that, leave out the sugar and the vanilla.

Enjoy the crunch!

No comments: