Friday, November 07, 2008

We interrupt this healthy eating

for an old style southern dish

I know, we're trying hard to cut the fat, but even our doctor tells us you can occasionally have one of those "BAD for you" meals.

This dish is something I remember from my childhood -- my grandmother made it, and I loved it then too

Pork Chops and Grits

3/4 cup quick cooking grits
3 cups water
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbls butter

2 to 4 pork chops

In a sauce pan, bring the water to a boil. Whisk in the salt and the grits, reduce heat and simmer until thickened. Turn off the heat and stir in the butter. Set aside.

Trim the fat from the pork chops. In a heavy skillet, render the fat (cook those little pieces of fat until they are like very crispy bacon). Remove the crispy pieces from the pan (I confess -- I eat them!). Sprinkle each side of each pork chop lightly with salt, and place in skillet. Brown each side, do not overcook!

In a flat baking dish, spread the grits in an even layer (spray the dish with non-stick cooking spray first for easier clean up!)

Place browned pork chops on top of grits -- don't overlap the meat -- then pour all of the pan juices over the grits

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes (depending on how thick the pork chops are and how "done" you like them)

Enjoy, ya'll!

1 comment:

Nancy G said...

Yum, one of my favorites; I need to get me some pork chops!